So I’ve been vegetarian for the past six years and I’ve finally decided to share my recipes on my blog! As expected, it has been a bit of a challenge to ensure that my diet remains balanced without meat, but it hasn’t been impossible. With creativity and a little research, going vegetarian can be both simple and incredibly healthy. The recipe below is perfect for a vegetarian meal since it has both protein from the black beans and health fat from the avocados, not to mention the host of other nutritious ingredients.
- 1/2 a large avocado
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 2 tomatoes with the seeds removed
- 1/2 a large red onion
- 5 leaves of chadon beni / flat leaf cilantro
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 pimento peppers (optional)
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil frozen corn to for about 5 minutes then drain and set aside to cool.
- Drain all liquid from can of beans and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes into halves and remove seeds, then dice.
- Dice onion, avocado, pimento (if using) and finely chop chadon beni/cilantro.
- In a large bowl add beans, corn, avocado, onion, tomatoes and chadon beni.
- Crush garlic into the bowl and squeeze lime juice over.
- Add salt and pepper and mix sparingly so the avocado isn’t crushed
- Enjoy cold by itself or as a side dish.
Whether you’re vegetarian or not, I hope you all love this recipe as much as I do! Please send pictures via my social media if you try the recipe or leave a comment telling me what you thought! Happy cooking!